Mirone

AppleHDA

Hi, Mirone!

Thank you very much for the continued help! That's funny, i just double-checked my DSDT and found this:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x09,

0x05

})

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x0C)

{

"subsystem-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x68, 0xAA, 0x00, 0x00

},

"subsystem-vendor-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x4B, 0x17, 0x00, 0x00

},

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x97, 0x43, 0x06, 0x11

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"VIA VT1705"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

So i'm pretty sure it's there. In fact, i think it was you that put it there for me, because it has even the name of my CODEC there (VIA VT1705).

But perhaps pernacabeluda (thank you very much, man!) has the answer: i'll try removing that key and see what happens. I'll report back soon.

All the best!

I even edited this part of putting the information on your codec.

test and return with the results.

btn_donate_SM.gif

Well, Mirone: i'm feeling really stymied here. :(

I double checked both my DSDT, following your advice, and my Chameleon.plist, following pernacabeluda's instructions. I can be and probably am wrong, but everything looks fine with both. Yet, just took another look in IOReg (which i won't upload, to prevent wasting your time) and found no HDEF device there. Should be! I'm wondering what's going on... is it possible the /DSDT.aml of the first partition (which has Mountain Lion, and it's a newer partition despite being the "first" one) is being loaded instead of the correct one, that's on the root of the Lion partition? EDIT: no, the correct /Extra is being loaded.

Well, i thought i was comfortable with DSDT editing and managing: now i think i have to eat humble pie. I hit a brick wall, lol.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards.

Hi, Mirone!

My motherboard is an ECS A780LM-M2. Chipset ATI. Graphics AMD Radeon 5450 Sapphire Silent (had to struggle with BIOS to prevent it to apply Crossover with the onboard and completely unsupported ATI graphics).

Here's my original (untouched) DSDT, extracted with DSDTE and compiled as is, and the IOReg i made when booting without any DSDT edits: IOREGDSDT.zip

All the best!

Hi, Mirone!

My motherboard is an ECS A780LM-M2. Chipset ATI. Graphics AMD Radeon 5450 Sapphire Silent (had to struggle with BIOS to prevent it to apply Crossover with the onboard and completely unsupported ATI graphics).

Here's my original (untouched) DSDT, extracted with DSDTE and compiled as is, and the IOReg i made when booting without any DSDT edits: [attachment=0]IOREGDSDT.zip[/attachment]

All the best!

Your Hardware AMD may be the problem,

I suggest changing a motherboard

and Intel CPU.

The Dvice HDEF not in your BIOS.

you replaced the Device SBAZ by HDEF?

Look in your Bios if the audio AZALIA like this.

btn_donate_SM.gif

Hi, Mirone!

My BIOS doesn't specify if the on-board audio is Azalia or High Definition Audio (i can check this with Windows 8, and even post an Everest report here, if you find it's useful): it just says the onboard audio is on. In fact, the on-board audio works just fine if i use VoodooHDA, but VoodooHDA won't recognize the HDMI audio of my board.

Thinking about an alternative, what if i test your patched AppleHDA with an HDA Enabler, instead of injecting it from the DSDT? Could it possibly work?

Anyway, Mirone, if you think it's a lost cause and unworthy of the effort, it's okay to me: i'll move on to Mountain Lion, since Toleda says Mountain Lion doesn't need the onboard audio to work for HDMI to work (and i don't really care for onboard audio). I already have 10.8.2 up and running (full QE/CI, high performance etc).

Thank you very much for being so patient and investing so much time trying to help me. You've been really cool, man!

Best regards!

Hi, Mirone!

My BIOS doesn't specify if the on-board audio is Azalia or High Definition Audio (i can check this with Windows 8, and even post an Everest report here, if you find it's useful): it just says the onboard audio is on. In fact, the on-board audio works just fine if i use VoodooHDA, but VoodooHDA won't recognize the HDMI audio of my board.

Thinking about an alternative, what if i test your patched AppleHDA with an HDA Enabler, instead of injecting it from the DSDT? Could it possibly work?

Anyway, Mirone, if you think it's a lost cause and unworthy of the effort, it's okay to me: i'll move on to Mountain Lion, since Toleda says Mountain Lion doesn't need the onboard audio to work for HDMI to work (and i don't really care for onboard audio). I already have 10.8.2 up and running (full QE/CI, high performance etc).

Thank you very much for being so patient and investing so much time trying to help me. You've been really cool, man!

Best regards!

I think that all attempts are valid

HDAEnabler try with me and return with the results.

btn_donate_SM.gif

Just tried it: no dice!

The funny thing is that, with VoodooHDA, not only i get onboard sound, but also HDEF suddenly appears in IOReg. HDMI audio, though, it's a no-go with VoodooHDA (and i'm talking that with full knowledge, because i tried every and all version of VoodooHDA from 2009 on to solve my issue and none worked: it appears as HDEF inside the GPU in IOReg, instead of HDAU EDIT: it now appears as HDAU, since i am using it in conjunction with the DSDT you made. Another finding: onboard audio appears as AZALIA in IOReg: SBAZ@14,2). I'll post the IOReg with VoodooHDA, just as a curiosity. VoodooIOREG.ioreg.zip I think it's not my motherboard, though, because HDMI audio, at least with VoodooHDA, used to work with my old card - unfortunately broken - the GeForce G210 in the same machine.

Best regards, and thank you once more.

Edited by Guest

Just tried it: no dice!

The funny thing is that, with VoodooHDA, not only i get onboard sound, but also HDEF suddenly appears in IOReg. HDMI audio, though, it's a no-go with VoodooHDA (and i'm talking that with full knowledge, because i tried every and all version of VoodooHDA from 2009 on to solve my issue and none worked: it appears as HDEF inside the GPU in IOReg, instead of HDAU). I'll post the IOReg with VoodooHDA, just as a curiosity. I think it's not my motherboard, though, because HDMI audio, at least with VoodooHDA, used to work with my old card - unfortunately broken - the GeForce G210 in the same machine.

Best regards, and thank you once more.

The strange thing is that your device does not even appear in HDEF ioreg nor carries the kext.

btn_donate_SM.gif

Yeah, that's why i'm baffled: i know HDMI audio is a possibility with my hardware because i used it flawlessly with VoodooHDA until i had to replace the G210. For some reason, the HD5450 doesn't work. Even with Mountain Lion, where it theoretically should work even without the onboard audio, it's being a PITA to set it up, as you can see in the thread there.

All the best!

Yeah, that's why i'm baffled: i know HDMI audio is a possibility with my hardware because i used it flawlessly with VoodooHDA until i had to replace the G210. For some reason, the HD5450 doesn't work. Even with Mountain Lion, where it theoretically should work even without the onboard audio, it's being a PITA to set it up, as you can see in the thread there.

All the best!

Try This: http://cl.ly/1w0n2D3M1Y0A

btn_donate_SM.gif

Thank you very much, Mirone!

The numbers inside the brackets refer to a picture attached: Archive.zip

- No sound, no audio device both in System Report (1) and System Preferences (2);

- in the IOReg, the GPU is reported as PCE2 instead of PEGP (5) and there's no audio codec listed for the port 0x8, where the display is connected (3);

- however, there is a new PCI device under the tree which bears the ID of my HDMI device, 68 aa (4);

- Also, IOReg (also attached) shows no HDEF entries. It shows also no SBAZ entries (with VoodooHDA and your anterior patched DSDT, there was a SBAZ@14,2).

All the best!

Mirone, good news! Excellent, in fact! :D

No, i didn't get HDMI or onboard sound yet, but remember what i told you about VoodooHDA appearing in IOREG as SBAZ@14,2? Well, that led me to some reading, googling and DSDT editing, finally coming to the development you can follow here: http://www.tonycrapx86.com/hdmi-audio/70765-mountain-lion-hdmi-audio.html#post565494

So i now have my own custom-made experimental DSDT. And, surprise, surprise, now HDEF not only appears in IOReg but also the way HDMI audio shows up in IOReg changed a lot, as you can see here (i retried both your test 1 and test2 AppleHDAs, i ditch the newer ones because i wanted to talk to you before anything):

TEST1.zip

TEST2.zip

Here's the DSDT i made: connacticDSDT.aml.zip

Can you take a look to see if you can improve it to our purposes? Now the game really begins, hehehe... i'm confident.

Mirone, good news! Excellent, in fact! :D

No, i didn't get HDMI or onboard sound yet, but remember what i told you about VoodooHDA appearing in IOREG as SBAZ@14,2? Well, that led me to some reading, googling and DSDT editing, finally coming to the development you can follow here: http://www.tonycrapx86.com/hdmi-audio/70765-mountain-lion-hdmi-audio.html#post565494

So i now have my own custom-made experimental DSDT. And, surprise, surprise, now HDEF not only appears in IOReg but also the way HDMI audio shows up in IOReg changed a lot, as you can see here (i retried both your test 1 and test2 AppleHDAs, i ditch the newer ones because i wanted to talk to you before anything):

Install Extra.pkg.zipconnacticDSDT.aml.zip[/attachment]

Can you take a look to see if you can improve it to our purposes? Now the game really begins, hehehe... i'm confident.

use the last dsdt + kext I sent

I realized that you have audio and replaces azalia SBAZ by HDEF well as the address and try retone me with the result.

PS: Make sure your Applehda being charged for this layout appears: 0

in your screen shot.

btn_donate_SM.gif

I realized that you have audio and replaces azalia SBAZ by HDEF well as the address and try retone me with the result.

PS: Make sure your Applehda being charged for this layout appears: 0

in your screen shot.

Hi, Mirone!

I've already tested your latest DSDT+AppleHDA yesterday, and posted the results in the post of 11 Mar 2013, 04:54, in this very page. No dice!

I don't understand this passage "I realized that you have audio and replaces azalia SBAZ by HDEF well as the address and try retone me with the result.": what are you telling me to do?

All the best!

UPDATE: i further improved my experimental DSDT (see thread http://www.tonycrapx86.com/hdmi-audio/70765-mountain-lion-hdmi-audio.html#post565494, post #743) and changed the layout id to 12 (0xC) to test your AppleHDA (i used your test2 version). Still no sound, neither internal nor HDMI but... ta-dah... it loads, as you can see here:

1250952518_ScreenShot2013-03-11at2_46_21PM.png.11792eedbd24a15f174a070c552c1a91.png

I'm attaching also the updated DSDT and a IOReg -- you'll see a lot of changes. I noticed HDA doesn't seem to report pin configuration in IOReg, could that be part of the no sound issue? latest.zip

All the best!

UPDATE: i further improved my experimental DSDT (see thread http://www.tonycrapx86.com/hdmi-audio/70765-mountain-lion-hdmi-audio.html#post565494, post #743) and changed the layout id to 12 (0xC) to test your AppleHDA (i used your test2 version). Still no sound, neither internal nor HDMI but... ta-dah... it loads, as you can see here:

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 2.46.21 PM.png[/attachment]

I'm attaching also the updated DSDT and a IOReg -- you'll see a lot of changes. I noticed HDA doesn't seem to report pin configuration in IOReg, could that be part of the no sound issue? [attachment=0]latest.zip[/attachment]

All the best!

Try this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/nh8oc8

btn_donate_SM.gif

Hello, Mirone! Thank you, man!

No change at all, unfortunately - or at least none that i could find out. Here's the IOReg: [attachment=0]IOReg2.ioreg.zip[/attachment]

All the best!

the kext is not being charged,

try loading manualmete.

sudo kextload /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext

btn_donate_SM.gif

Thank you very much for all the help, man, and sorry to have taken so much of your time! You're the best! :D

For now, i think i can live with a workaround i did: i'm using VoodooHDA and, even without HDMI audio (the issue is so serious even VoodooHDA failed), i just realized my TV has an analog audio in, so i'm connecting the internal audio out to the TV's audio in and voila, have sound! :) If i decide i really need HDMI, i'll simply put the nVidiaG210 back. I replaced the G210 because it started to crash with intensive games (i think it's something with its fan - the main advantage of the 5450 is that it's fanless).

All the best!

P.S.: i'm following your conversation with Toleda: do you think if i buy some of his recommended cards that work OOB with HDMI audio, will it work for me even with VoodooHDA (just like the G210)? Or do you really thing my system hardware is incompatible with HDMI audio, and i was damn lucky it worked with the G210?