georgealexander

Can I install macOS Mojave on Asus VivoBook 17 N705FD?

I want to install macOS Catalina on this laptop: Asus VivoBook 17 N705FD. I would like to know if anyone has managed to install in this model of laptop or in a similar one. I've been trying for a weeks days but I coudn't get past +++ End randomseed error or some other errors. Now I want to start from scratch. What I did before was to download from my mac mini macOS Catalina, and then I used some EFI with Clover from one tutorial and after that I added/removed kexts and drivers. I also tried with opencore, no luck yet...stuck at apple logo. With Clover I got many ACPI errors. The single time I didn't had those I managed to get pass apple logo loading but afterwards I had only a black screen.

I think the first problem was that this motherboard can use AHCI or Intel Something in bios. Right now I have installed Windows 10 which I wish to dualboot on my m.2 SSD. After I switched to AHCI, Windows got blue screen error and I couldn't manage to get pass that untill I changed it back to Intel something... from AHCI.

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X705FD
CPU: Intel Core i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR4 which I wish to upgrade in the following weeks if needed
SSD m.2: SanDisk SD9SN8W128G1102 (Windows 10 installed)
Hard Disk: ST1000LM035-1RK17 1TB 5400 RPM (I will replace this HDD with Samsung Evo 960 if I will manage to install macOS on this laptop).
Dedicated graphics: GeForce GTX 1050 (I know that macOS Mojave have problems with some Nvidia Graphics card, would I be able to use it in my hackintosh laptop?)
Integrated graphics: UHD Graphics 620 (If I won't be able to use my Nvidia dedicated card, this one will be able to run most common tasks and some photo/video editing?)
Wireless NIC: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz (I know that this wireless card most probably won't work, but I do have another external wireless dongle which I know that's compatible and I can use)
Ethernet NIC: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

Has anyone managed to install macOS Catalina on this thing? If I won't be able to use dedicated graphics, it's better to choose High Sierra?

You can't use Nvidia on a OS X version above 10.13 (High Sierra), although you can use your Intel HD 620 disabling the Nvidia. Probably you have to patch Intel with FrameBuffer.

On the output seems like there's a problem with the motherboard config. I have a Gigabyte myself and I can't help you much with Asus, but I suggest load optimized default settings and disable Intel VdT, CMS, enable USB AHCI, disable FastBoot and SecureBoot (that's what I do, you probably won't have some of that parameters)

Also, to make a dual boot, I suggest to first partition the SSD and install Catalina in an APFS partition. After that, add EFI folder as the guide on this forum explains.

When you have finished the guide and Catalina is running fine booting from UEFI on SSD, restart.

Boot from windows installer USB (not from Clover, just this time).

Choose the another partition created previously and format.

After that, boot windows partition from SSD UEFI and finish installation.

You can now boot always from SSD UEFI to OS X and W10 :smile:

Hope it helps, quote me if you need any assistance and I will try to help if I know how! ;)