Bruno Santana

Update from Ventura 13.3.1(a) to Ventura 13.4 results in Black screen - Intel UHD 630 - FIX & WORKAROUND

Hey everyone.

So, yesterday, I came across a black screen after updating from Ventura 13.3.1(a) to Ventura 13.4 while having all the latest Kexts and using OpenCore 0.9.2 and still my Intel UHD 630 produced a black screen right after the Apple logo, which I suspected had something to do with the Backlight Registers Fix (-igfxblr and igfxonln=1 in boot-args), seeing as my platform is Coffee Lake and requires these arguments in order to function properly.

I could only get the screen working by adding -igfxvesa to boot-args, thus resulting in loss of graphical acceleration, which was expected, but less than desirable.

Upon further investigation, I understood that the issue is not with WhateverGreen, OpenCore or my setup. It is with Ventura 13.4 itself. The 13.4 update broke, among other things, the Backlight Registers Fix (needed for CFL).

That being said, we are faced with ONE fix (came across it on June 3rd) and TWO possible workarounds (which had been previously posted):

1 - FIX: CASE 1 (If you use Backlight Smoother): Ensure that the following arguments are present in your boot-args: -igfxblr -igfxbls -igfxbrs igfxonln=1

2 - FIX: CASE 2 (If you don't use Backlight Smoother): Ensure that the following arguments are present in your boot-args: -igfxblr -igfxbls -igfxbrs igfxonln=1

3 - WORKAROUND: Reinstall / Remain in Ventura up to (and including) 13.3.1(a)

4 - WORKAROUND: Enroll in the Apple Beta Program and update from 13.3.1(a) directly to 13.5b

NOTES:

1 - For fixing the issue in Ventura 13.4, all that is required to do is to compile the newest version of WhateverGreen.kext (in order ensure the new PR is included) and then add the newly created argument "-igfxbrs" to boot-args, as shown above.

2 - Ventura 13.5b does NOT break Backlight Register Fix and as such, we can enjoy the iGPU acceleration as expected. Furthermore, it does not require the "-igfxbrs" argument to be present in boot-args to function properly.

Source for Fix:

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/pull/113#issue-1735989914

Source for Workarounds:

https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/2241 & https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/2284

Best regards,

Bruno.

Edited by Bruno Santana
Restructured text
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 3:47 AM, tabu said:

I am facing the same issue.

Thank you for taking the initiative to comment on this issue.

Dell Precision 5550 / i9-10885H

Hey there.

Thank you for your kind words.

You are welcome and I hope I could shed some light on the matter, so that you fixed (or worked around) the issue.

Best regards,

Bruno.