MetalChris87

Surface Book 3 working EFI Ventura

Hi @MetalChris87,

first of all Thank you very much for sharing this short introduction for Surface Book 3.
And another big thanks to the whole Olarila community.

I followed your steps to install Ventura on my SB3.
First problem i got is, that my screen is flickering / black in installation step often times.
Some times this not happen and I can see the screen like expected to install Ventura.
I tried to solve that by disabling the dedicated GPU in BIOS but without success.

My Second Problem is, that I came into a reboot loop within the installation process.

Can you help me with that problems?

I toke the current 13.5 Olarila Ventura raw image and copied it with etcher to my usb-stick.
After that I replaced the EFI folder with you one.
I also already tried Monterey and Sonoma beta but both with same problems.

Hi,

In the EFI I was getting black screen and so I included the boot fix -wegnoegpu, this fixed my issues, however maybe it is causing yours. Try removing -wenoegpu from the config. 

<dict>
                <key>SystemAudioVolume</key>
                <data>Rg==</data>
                <key>boot-args</key>
                <string>-wegnoegpu -igfxblr -igfxcdc -igfxdvmt</string>
                <key>csr-active-config</key>
                <data>AAAAAA==</data>
                <key>run-efi-updater</key>
                <string>No</string>
            </dict>

If you are not sure you can find help online with how to edit, however a quick way is extract the EFI I attached. find Config.plist and open with notepad. Find "-wenoegpu" and delete it. Save the config and try and boot installer again. 

Another fix would be to use 1 of the premade EFI's from Olarila. -NoteBook IceLake Download HERE
And then use my EFI once you have completed installation.

Hope this helps.

Hi @MetalChris87,

Thanks for taking care.
Tried it with the EFI one you provided in second post and as well with the basic IcyLake-Notebook one but nothing worked.
Also the command line argument you provided doesn't worked for me.

The only EFI's which seems to work so far to came into the setup mode stable is the original one in the Olarila Ventura image (without replacing).
The IcyLake-Notebook one and the IcyLake-Notebooke-Mod one (you provided) will fail before the installation screen can be loaded.
The Surface book one from your first post works sometimes, most times is the installation screen black of flickering.
But even with this one the first step breaks up 12 minutes before finishing, and then running into a booting loop.
Tried also to connect in first installation step to WLAN (maybe this helps) but I couldn't connect to my WLAN.

What I'm doing wrong?

I don't know why this EFI would not work for you when it works perfectly for me. It's possible due to some hidden changes in your laptop to mine. I have the NVIDIA  GPU 15inch model, but the Nvidia chip does not work as no drivers. 

If the original Olarila one works for you I believe this (if I remember correctly) is because their EFI packs pretty much every kext going into it to make sure your system will boot. This is fine but probably find a slow down.

Probably the best solution would be to use that EFI and remove EFI's one at a time that you think your system wont be using. Maybe mirror my attached EFI to find out what to remove and what to keep (anything removed/added from your EFI folder needs to be updated in the config.plist. I use the Clover Configurator application when you're on the mac or notepad when in windows.

Make sure BigSurface kext is on your EFI once you boot and in the correct order as you can find on their website. 

WLAN works on mine, however it's 50/50 but I believe my issues relate to my broadband provider (Virgin Media) as the router is crap. 

Anyway, yeah use the original olarila efi and remove unnecessary files 1 by 1 until you find a working system. Maybe add 1 or 2 from mine. I have included the correct wifi kext for the surface book in my EFI so maybe use the original Olarila EFI but with my EFI. You will need to edit the config.plist to include the wifi kext.

Good luck. 

Edited by MetalChris87

On 7/27/2023 at 7:30 AM, Eweol said:

Hi @MetalChris87,

first of all Thank you very much for sharing this short introduction for Surface Book 3.
And another big thanks to the whole Olarila community.

I followed your steps to install Ventura on my SB3.
First problem i got is, that my screen is flickering / black in installation step often times.
Some times this not happen and I can see the screen like expected to install Ventura.
I tried to solve that by disabling the dedicated GPU in BIOS but without success.

My Second Problem is, that I came into a reboot loop within the installation process.

Can you help me with that problems?

I toke the current 13.5 Olarila Ventura raw image and copied it with etcher to my usb-stick.
After that I replaced the EFI folder with you one.
I also already tried Monterey and Sonoma beta but both with same problems.

I seem to be having the same problem, it was working the first time I did it but I had to reboot into windows quickly before continuing and then it started when I went back. Did you ever find a solution?

So it seems like I could solve the flickering / black screen issue on my SFB3 13 inch with dGPU, by adding the boot argument '-igfxvesa'.
<dict>
                <data>Rg==</data>
                <key>boot-args</key>
                <string>-wegnoegpu -igfxblr -igfxcdc -igfxdvmt -igfxvesa</string>
                <data>AAAAAA==</data>
                <string>No</string>
            </dict>

What ever this mean for the devices and installation process.
But this results in an permission error in the first installation step, my case.

Edit:
permission problem solved by complete ereasing the whole storage again.
Now I'm back in restarting  loop

Edited by Eweol

Has someone an idea, what can go wrong in second install phase if bar is not moving, but time counter decreases?
The bar stops at 1/4.
After waiting an half day with countermessage "less than a minute remaining" I think there is also nothing working in background.

Did you have any look with Mac OS Monterey on your Surface Book 3?
I used Monterey before Ventura. I had no issues getting Monterey up and running but Ventura took some messing around including adding the boot arg "wegnoegpu". Maybe try installing Monterey. I do have an EFI for that            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Icci7vMsYdnUc57US_Tp0jqBMZW5rBMu/view?usp=drive_link
See if Monterey runs and then maybe do Mac OS Update to Ventura.

Did you have any look with Mac OS Monterey on your Surface Book 3?
I used Monterey before Ventura. I had no issues getting Monterey up and running but Ventura took some messing around including adding the boot arg "wegnoegpu". Maybe try installing Monterey. I do have an EFI for that            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Icci7vMsYdnUc57US_Tp0jqBMZW5rBMu/view?usp=drive_link
See if Monterey runs and then maybe do Mac OS Update to Ventura.

Thanks,
I already tried it some time ago but will do this evening again, hopefully with more luck.

By the way, SFB 3 has no USB 2 ports
Do you just use the 3.0 ones or did you do something specific to get it run?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I use the USB C port for my Mac Installation. But I shouldn't think any ports should have issues. Sorry I only have USB C drives so I can't test others.

Screen is freezing to me sounds like an issue with the Nvidia graphics trying to run it. And so forcing internal graphics with your boot args should fix that. I don't know if this is an issue at all, however the BigSurface kext is amazing at fixing a lot of issues with the mac, however it can be temperamental. Maybe try removing the big surface kext. Even without the kext you should be able to get it to boot but you will have issues with some things including the graphics chip running at about 1mb.

If you haven't already you should give this guys page a good read and see if it helps. Helped me a lot.

Xiashangning/BigSurface: A proposition for a fully intergrated kext for all Surface Pro hardwares (github.com)

Hi,

I don't have the Surface Book 2 so it's hard for me to say, but disabling the Nvidia chip may be your best bet.  So like I said earlier, the below quote helped me. But also have you installed BigSurface Kext as per the guide on Xiashangning/BigSurface: A proposition for a fully intergrated kext for all Surface Pro hardwares (github.com)
There is an order to how the kext should show in your config.

"In the EFI I was getting black screen and so I included the boot fix -wegnoegpu, this fixed my issues, however maybe it is causing yours. Try removing -wenoegpu from the config. 

<dict>
                <data>Rg==</data>
                <key>boot-args</key>
                <string>-wegnoegpu -igfxblr -igfxcdc -igfxdvmt</string>
                <data>AAAAAA==</data>
                <string>No</string>
            </dict>"

Edited by MetalChris87

Hi Everyone. I believe I have fixed this post.

The issue I think most of you were having with the EFI was that you require a different EFI for the Installer and Post Install desktop. I have edited the top post to include both EFI's. The Installer EFI turns off several system such as keyboard and touchpad and advanced graphics so you will need an external keyboard and mouse. The Post Install EFI has everything working.

Good Luck

Edited by MetalChris87

Hello!

I got another surface book 2 13.5 with the gtx 1050 and the i7 8650U. 

Since you have the i5 and i have the i7, when i use your EFI everything boots normal except the Graphics acceleration.

It says that in have 1536 MB of VRAM, but since whe have different processor it doenst work propertly and blablablabla. Even when i change the device-id and change everything to set up my processor it does the same.

So i was hopping that you could help me or send me where you set up your i5. 

I manged to use your kext and ACPI with my config plist. So far GA working and i can see the battery icon, but cant log in because trackpad and keyboard dont work neither the usb 2.0.

Another problem that i have with my own efi is the "couldnt alloc applekeystore" even when using your kext with my config.plist. i have to use a ACPI called "DSDT", that alse give me some errors, but can boot with no further problem.

Any fix for the applekeystore?

Edited by zukulento
Relevance

On 9/15/2023 at 11:51 PM, zukulento said:

help:(

Hi, 

I don't have a surface book 2. I have the surface book 3 i7 version with Nvidia chip and so the EFI's will be different. These EFIs are built for surface book 3 such as the ice lake professor and so you'd have to edit a few things in them to get a good match. 

Your best bet would be to use one of the EFIs from Olarilla. Find the EFI built for your processor. Edit the EFI, remove the Boot Args it  has and use <string>-igfxvesa -igfxblr -igfxcdc -igfxdvmt</string>"

And then once installed and you've booted MacOS change the boot arg from -igfxvesa to -wegnoegpu. 

But as for the graphics... I believe you are saying that only the intel graphics chip is working which is correct for Mac's. You will never get the Nvidia chip working as Nvidia have stopped supporting them a few years back. 

Sorry 

Edited by MetalChris87

On 9/17/2023 at 6:34 PM, MetalChris87 said:

Hi, 

I don't have a surface book 2. I have the surface book 3 i7 version with Nvidia chip and so the EFI's will be different. These EFIs are built for surface book 3 such as the ice lake professor and so you'd have to edit a few things in them to get a good match. 

Your best bet would be to use one of the EFIs from Olarilla. Find the EFI built for your processor. Edit the EFI, remove the Boot Args it  has and use <string>-igfxvesa -igfxblr -igfxcdc -igfxdvmt</string>"

And then once installed and you've booted MacOS change the boot arg from -igfxvesa to -wegnoegpu. 

But as for the graphics... I believe you are saying that only the intel graphics chip is working which is correct for Mac's. You will never get the Nvidia chip working as Nvidia have stopped supporting them a few years back. 

Sorry 

Hello!

There is not that much diference between EFI folder in surface devices from what i have seen. The real problem begin when you start to add "little thing" or try to make things work.

I fixed the problem with the applekeystore thing by just removing the boot args of the verbose mode. 

The problem that i have now is that CPU is always running at +40%. Using "top" in the terminal shows that kernnel task is running at 200%. I have tried many things, opened a new threat. Uploaded everything there.

Booting EFI SURFACE BOOK 2.rar

Hi,

So I've just glanced at your EFI. 
Did you use? Gathering files | OpenCore Install Guide (dortania.github.io)  ?? Check out this guide if not and follow it as best you can.

I think you have the wrong SSDT's for your processor. Your processor being Coffee Lake, I think. I noticed one missing SSDT which is the SSDT-Awac. Add this to the ACPI folder and config file. But if still running at 40percent then remove SSDT's and download correct ones from that website for your processor.

Also you're not running the BigSurface kext??? 
GitHub - Xiashangning/BigSurface: A proposition for a fully intergrated kext for all Surface Pro hardwares

This is a must. Follow the guide as there a few tweaks to get yours working correctly.

Edited by MetalChris87