scorpioserve

GUIDE - Mountain Lion 10.8.2 - HP DV6-6b50ei Pavilion SB i7

Hardware:

HP dv6-6b50ei Pavilion

2.2GHz intel core i7-2670QM Sandybridge

1002:6740 - AMD Radeon HD6770M / 8086:0116 - Intel HD3000 1366x768

750gb SATA (5400rpm)

8086:008b - Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (802.11 b/g/n)

Bluetooth WiDi

2 x USB 2.0

1033:0194 - 2 x Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller

10ec:8168 - Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

HP TrueVision Webcam and MIC

8086:1c20 - Intel Audio Device

I already had 10.7.3 on this system however it was becoming unstable although when working it was pretty quick I thought with a Geekbench score of 7821.

Clean install of 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, first off there is one thing that I had saved from when I first purchased this Laptop and that was the DSDT.dml file extracted from the perfectly working Windows 7 operating system.

I have included some of the files I used on a filesharing site because it was too large to attach at 7mb. (Missing ones are JavaForOSX.dmg, multishit-5.2.1.zip, Rosewill_USB_RNX-N4.2.3.0.0_UI-2.0.7.0_2012_02_22.dmg.zip, and Chameleon Wizard)

http://depositfiles.com/files/461nod13u

I will list this in the order of steps I took to get mine working pretty well

01. AppStore purchase and download of Mountain Lion 10.8.2

02. 8gb Flash stick reformatted with Master Boot Record, single partition formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), named "USB"

03. install unishit-MountainLion-1.7.0 to USB

04. Make sure USB is plugged into one of the USB2.0 ports on the right, and reboot.

05. unishit Boot Prompt set boot flag to cpus=1 -v with USB drive selected

06. Install Mountain Lion, and reboot with USB still inserted.

07. At Boot Prompt, select newly installed ML partition, set boot flag to cpus=1 -v, boot and complete initial setup

08. So to System Preferences - Security - and allow applications to run from anywhere

09. Install Java SE6 from the Apple Download site so you can run the DSDT Editor application

10. Open DSDT Editor, File - Open (I selected my DSDT.dsl that I had from windows), select Patch - Open (I selected DV6 Sandy Bridge Generic.txt as downloaded from http://www.Olarila.com patches section), Click Apply, then close that window. Select IASL - Compile, Fix errors & Close window, Choose IASL - Save AML as - name it DSDT.aml and save on the Desktop so multishit can find it later. Quit DSDT Editor

11. Open multishit, Choose - UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation, Sandybridge Core i7, MacBook Pro 8,1, Generate CPU States, Instant Menu, Realtek-Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx, PS/2 Keyboard/Mice & Trackpads, Install, DO NOT REBOOT.

12. Replace mach_kernel with the one downloaded from kexts.com called ML 10.8.2 mach_kernel_lapic_fix. Open Terminal and type

12a.) - sudo rm -R -v /Volumes/YOURHDName/mach_kernel ENTER

12b.) - sudo cp -R -v ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /Volumes/YOURHDName/mach_kernel ENTER

12c.) - sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/YOURHDName/mach_kernel ENTER

12d.) - sudo chmod 644 /Volumes/YOURHDName/mach_kernel ENTER

12e.) - sudo chflags hidden /Volumes/YOURHDName/mach_kernel ENTER

13. Use Chameleon Wizard to open org.chameleon.Boot.plist from your /Extra/ Folder and turn off the option to use kernel cache. Save, and close Chameleon Wizard

14. Run Kext Utility to do a final clean up

15. Eject USB flash drive and reboot.

16. In general you will not need boot flags anymore, however for this first boot after all we did I used a boot flag of -f with the new installation selected to bypass any outdated cache files.

If you machine booted up, well done, I hope this guide was easy to follow.

First thing I did was open Activity monitor and check how many CPU's were running, all 8 were running, thats good news.

Next I installed Geekbench 64Bit, unfortunately the score is now only 7394

So now to get the non working parts working again

1. VoodooBattery + AppleACPIPlatform - installed with Kext Utility

2. SleepEnabler - installed with Kext Utility

3. VoodooHDA 2.8.2 r86 32_64 installed as package with VoodooHDA, VoodooHDA.prefPane 1.2.1, and VoodooHdaSettingsLoader

4. I am tired of trying to get built in Wifi Working so I purchased a dongle made by Tenda, it was the cheapest I could find that used a Realtek Chipset. Installed RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext with Kext Utility, then installed Rosewill USB_RNX-N1-4.2.3.0, used the 10.7 package installer.

Rebooted, and once again due to many alteration I used the -f boot flag.

Once booted I opened /Applications/Rosewill Wireless Utility, and saved a profile for my WiFi network, connected to the WiFi, added it to my Dock and made it launch at boot. Then I went to my System Preferences/Network and set 802.11 WLAN to DHCP and Applied my changes, this got my WiFi working perfectly.

Rebooted with no boot flags just to make sure all was working perfectly. :)

So what works - Ethernet, USB2.0, QE/CI on Intel HD 3000 card, reboot, shutdown, keyboard, trackpad (Not like an Apple one), HDMI (Without Sound), cd/dvd, battery, dims when unplugged, display sleeps, hard drive spins down and starts from sleep, clamshell sleep (Kind of, it wakes when I reopen the laptop, however I dont think it actually sleeps when closed because my HDMI secondary monitor becomes the main display and I can still work without the Laptop display), wifi (Dongle only), Audio (MIC and Output), Webcam with MIC.

So what works a little odd - Wifi have to use the Rosewill Wireless Utility to reconnect after sleep, also after sleep double clicking of folders no longer opens the folder, you can right click and select open, or use a different view, or select the file and hit APPLE+o, it is strange but I can live with it for sleep functionality. Clamshell sleep keeps HDMI running as described above. After each reboot you have to reconnect to your Wifi profile. Trackpad is not seen as the Apple one but does work, although like a standard mouse, no two finger scrolling etc.

What does not work - USB 3.0, Built in Wifi 8086:008b, Blutooth (This was working in 10.7, but I dont know how, I have a sneaking suspicion that it is somehow part of the internal WiFi?). Switching of graphics card, or any way to use the built in ATI.

What I would like - all the non working stuff to work if possible, A higher Geekbench Score.

This was my latest holiday in Kosi Bay South Africa.

This was my favorite adventure holiday in Victoria Falls