🎉 [ IMPORTANT ] Premium and Donators users 🎉 ×

SSD not recognized with 10.8 GM USB installer

chiefsalami

Hello everyone, I am hoping someone can help. I have 10.7.4 installed and running pretty well on a hackintosh with a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 128GB SSD drive. The Lion install USB detects the drive just fine, but Mountain Lion will not. I am able to boot into the ML installer but when I go to Disk Utility, the drive is not recognized at all. I have a custom patched DSDT that I use with Lion, and I have tried the ML USB installer both with and without that DSDT. Same issue.

Can someone help? Is there a kext or something like that I need to modify to enable detection of that SSD?

In case it's needed, below is my hardware config:

[*]MSI X79 motherboard

[*]Intel i7-3820 processor (using NullPowerManagement to bypass the Sandy Bridge KP)

[*]32GB DDR3-1600 memory (4x8GB)

[*]Mushkin SSD plugged into primary SATA port on motherboard

Edited by Guest

Can anyone help? I tried modifying AppleAHCIPort.kext as specified by some other people who were having drive not recognized problems, and still no go. What kext controls (3rd party) SSD drives being recognized by the installer? I am already using 3rdPartySata and JMicron kexts, and those do not seem to be helping. As I said, I did not have this problem with the Lion installer. The SSD drive was recognized no problem.

Yes, I wrote that Lion recognizes the drive no problem. I don't even need to use 3rdpartySATA or JMicron kexts.

I did also try that patch you pointed me to. I was having the "still waiting for root device" but I don't remember if that was what fixed it. But the "root device" is the USB drive the installer is running off of, isn't it?

I have not heard of using that kext_dir switch. Where do I specify that? In the chamleon.plist file in the Extra directory?

But the "root device" is the USB drive the installer is running off of, isn't it?

Yes, it is, but for what I understood from your first post, the problem is the installer not finding the AHCI SATA device, not the root device on USB.

I have not heard of using that kext_dir switch. Where do I specify that? In the chamleon.plist file in the Extra directory?

In the script (patch-ahci-mlion), open it with text editor.

Yes, it is, but for what I understood from your first post, the problem is the installer not finding the AHCI SATA device, not the root device on USB.

Right, so the script took care of the "still waiting for root device", which allowed me to get into the installer. Prior to fixing that, it would stay stuck on "still waiting". However, now that I can get into the installer, I can't see my SSD drive.

In the script (patch-ahci-mlion), open it with text editor.

Now I remember - I had to manually edit the script so that it patched the correct file. But again, that just allowed me to get past the "still waiting" message. Still can't see the SSD.

Any other ideas?

the script took care of the "still waiting for root device", which allowed me to get into the installer. Prior to fixing that, it would stay stuck on "still waiting".

It doesn't make sense to me. If the root device is USB (the installer), patching the AHCI kext would not solve the boot problem, it should allow the installer to recognize the target drive which is AHCI.

I really have no idea.