• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Blast9999

Upgrading from GTX 680 to RX 580 gives black screen

internal graphics to enable

I tried it but so far since doing that update yesterday I have had two random crashes of MacOS. I get some buzzing noise thru the speaker, and artifacts instead of the cursor just now with the freeze. After updating the two kexts, I verified that the update version was done in Clover Configurator, and I double checked that the Intel was checked under Graphics. I noticed now I see both GPU 1 and 2 (Intel HD Graphics 530 and Radeon RX 580) under Compute in Geekbench 5 so the changes were verified. Any other ideas to help stop the crashing?

Posted (edited)

Ok, other than that I'm happy with the build. Maybe the next update release I'll have better luck. What about a custom DSDT patch? Could that possibly make a difference? 

Edited by Blast9999

same for all systems

Ok, I'll have to try something. So far this morning it has rebooted twice. It seems that latest change with the internal gpu made the problem worse, as last week it only crashed twice all week.

I plugged in my test ssd, which has a fresh Olarila 10.15.5 installed to try something and it notified me to install the supplemental update for 10.15.5 which I did. My main nvme drive did not notify me to do that update so far. How can I tell if the update has been done (don't see the update history), and how can I make my main system see the update? 

use SystemPreferences/SoftwareUpdates

Thanks, I was hoping for a log of the updates. I re-enabled csm in bios and was going to put the GTX680 card back in to see if the crashing stopped, but then I noticed that my system boots ok into Catalina after turning csm on, even with the Sapphire 580 installed. I'll let it run and see if it still crashes like this.

It seemed ok yesterday with csm on, and the 580 installed, but crashed overnight when I left it running (display sleep on). Then this morning it crashed a few more times. Next I installed the old Nvidia GTX 680 4GB again and I'll see if that makes a difference. The display looks quite different (more contrasty) without the HDR option on using the Sapphire 580.

Yes I did try that last week.

1. With the Sapphire, I double checked my config.plist file is updated with Inject Intel, and 0x1912001 ig-platform-id and disabled csm in bios, Intel graphics enabled.

2. System crashes randomly with artifacts for cursor and speaker white noise, just like previously since the Sapphire was first installed.

3. Changed csm back to enabled, left Intel graphics enabled, no improvement - still crashes.

3. Swapped the Nvidia GTX680 back in, with no other changes - system has NOT crashed in the last 48 hours running non-stop, and VideoProc now reports NA for hardware acceleration (see screenie).

Any other ideas to try appreciated! thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 12.45.58 PM.zip

if u dont have black screen with amd card, don't need disable csm

shikigva is a bootarg

Nah, that didn't work and crashed a couple times since with the same panic. At this point should I consider a mobo/ cpu upgrade to go with the Sapphire? What would you recommend a 370 or 390? Thanks for your help with this, much appreciated!