egarbage

Dell G7 7588 (i7-8750H Coffee Lake) High Sierra Working

If you have a USB/Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI/DP, could you try plug it to another monitor and see if it have the same issue on external monitor? I think it's an issue with Dell laptop panel because when I use TeamViewer to monitor the hackintosh, it doesn't have color banding issue on Launchpad.

Same result here, with a 40” Samsung 4K TV, no color banding even though I don’t get a 4K image on it.

The Dell laptop display is a LED IPS, full hd display. However it shouldn’t happen.

So far, I haven’t found a way to make BT work.

I decided to leave BT for a while and focused on trying to get iMessage working. I generated the values required, and they do keep on boot, except for the board serial number. I cant make it stick. For some reason iMessage does not work.

its a hit or miss from what i have been seeing not all can get working having real devices help from some people

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Sapphire rx 5700 XT, fractal celcius s36

:superman:superman

HP Notebook - 15-ay028ca (Touch), 16 GB 2133 MHz DDR4, Intel HD Graphics 520 1536 MB

Asus z97-c i5, i5 4460, 32 GB 1648 MHz DDR3, Radeon RX 560 4096 MB, Corsair H75 Liquid CPU Cooler

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], I’ve found a few things that might help you with your issue:

I booted without any option set in my config.plist (iGFX, no inject Intel, no ig platform id) BUT using the Whatevergreen + Lilu kexts. System booted and the igpu was detected correctly as UHD 630 and correct RAM. But still got your color banding!

I then reverted back because sometimes I boot to a black screen.

To sum up, clover and WEG does have the info on UHD 630. Maybe it’s an issue with the framebuffer.

I am still trying to get BT, iMessage to work...

UPDATE: I’ve managed to get Bluetooth working. I just removed the SSDT-UIAC.aml out of my EFI folders (I saved a backup of it somewhere first). And rebooted. VOILA! My initial thoughts were right, it was the SSDT. I might need help to make a new one. Or I might not need it at all. I haven’t tested yet what else could have been affected by what I did.

I will now try to make iMessage/FaceTime work, and then I will be super happy if it does. But I am a bit worried with trying too much - I don’t want to get blacklisted by Apples servers. I will try a bit tomorrow.

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], I’ve found a few things that might help you with your issue:

I booted without any option set in my config.plist (iGFX, no inject Intel, no ig platform id) BUT using the Whatevergreen + Lilu kexts. System booted and the igpu was detected correctly as UHD 630 and correct RAM. But still got your color banding!

I then reverted back because sometimes I boot to a black screen.

To sum up, clover and WEG does have the info on UHD 630. Maybe it’s an issue with the framebuffer.

Without ig-platform-id in config.plist, WEG will automatically inject it for you.

About the black screen issue, I think many people have it too. https://www.tonycrapx86.com/threads/bug-black-screen-3-minutes-after-booting-coffeelake-uhd-630.261131/

If you manage to fix color banding, please let me know. Although it doesn't bother me much but I still want to get it fixed.

I will now try to make iMessage/FaceTime work, and then I will be super happy if it does. But I am a bit worried with trying too much - I don’t want to get blacklisted by Apples servers. I will try a bit tomorrow.

Follow this guide:

I haven't got my account locked since I used this guide.

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], I keep getting an error message with the activation and to try again later.

I think it will not work until I find out why my iMessage Debug returns the Board Serial Number with XXXXXXXXXXXX instead of the value I generated in Clover. I have NVRAM working, any variable I set up to it still holds when I reboot so i know it works. For some reason, MLB/Board Serial Number is XXXXXXXXXXXX. I have even checked several times the Clover panels to find out if I had left something behind.

The system definitely needs a new SSDT-UIAC, when I removed it I had the bluetooth back, but I lost my USB ports functionality. How rude!

I need to learn a step by step on how to make a new one just so I don’t lose the Bluetooth.

Meanwhile I will keep a backup of that file for future problems.

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], I keep getting an error message with the activation and to try again later.

I think it will not work until I find out why my iMessage Debug returns the Board Serial Number with XXXXXXXXXXXX instead of the value I generated in Clover. I have NVRAM working, any variable I set up to it still holds when I reboot so i know it works. For some reason, MLB/Board Serial Number is XXXXXXXXXXXX. I have even checked several times the Clover panels to find out if I had left something behind.

Did you reboot after changing Serial and UUID?

Did you reboot after changing Serial and UUID?

Yes, I did. Generated new ones, saved config plist, rebooted, checked imessage debug, still no board serial number, even though I set MLB and ROM. I think one of them uses macAddr0.

I am now trying to create a new SSDT-UIAC for my system. Meanwhile, I noticed that the blue color of the selectors in macOS UI is a bit purple. Yours too?

Edit: fixed the SSDT. What happened is that who did it, might have had a typo (or the white G7 has a different port). Black model with the LCD display has the bluetooth on port HS07, instead of HS09. Changed it, rebooted normally and bang! USB ok, bluetooth ok, wifi ok. Camera ok. Sound ok. What is left for us now is the color issue on display and try to make iMessage/Facetime work. I still cannot figure out why the board serial number comes out hidden/unset in iMessage debug.

Yes, I did. Generated new ones, saved config plist, rebooted, checked imessage debug, still no board serial number, even though I set MLB and ROM. I think one of them uses macAddr0.

I am now trying to create a new SSDT-UIAC for my system. Meanwhile, I noticed that the blue color of the selectors in macOS UI is a bit purple. Yours too?

Edit: fixed the SSDT. What happened is that who did it, might have had a typo (or the white G7 has a different port). Black model with the LCD display has the bluetooth on port HS07, instead of HS09. Changed it, rebooted normally and bang! USB ok, bluetooth ok, wifi ok. Camera ok. Sound ok. What is left for us now is the color issue on display and try to make iMessage/Facetime work. I still cannot figure out why the board serial number comes out hidden/unset in iMessage debug.

Go to Apple Menu -> About this Mac and see check if your SN is correct.

Go to Apple Menu -> About this Mac and see check if your SN is correct.

The SN is there, same as in Clover. What is not on iMessageDebug is the board serial number, used for MLB, even though I had set one for it in Clover.

Added in 20 minutes 22 seconds:

I finally did it! I had to reset my network settings and preferences, then rebooted and tried to sign in... fuck yeah, worked!!

Now I have a 100% working system. Amazing.

Added in 20 minutes 57 seconds:

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], I also found a solution for your color banding problem. I haven’t tried yet, but I think you need to do framebuffer patching.

Can you share the customized SSDT-UIAC.aml?

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], I also found a solution for your color banding problem. I haven’t tried yet, but I think you need to do framebuffer patching.

I tried framebuffer patching but it didn't fix the issue. Maybe you could try?

I can share. But I am not convinced it is good - the USB speeds are making me scratch my head off a bit. I just edited the port number for bluetooth, the rest is left as it were before. I will upload it later, but you need to have the DW1560 card installed for it to work.

Framebuffer patches, I had no success in it. I don’t know yet how to do it properly. My first attempt left me with a darker display (reverted back later). For now the color banding isn’t a big issue for me, so I will leave it until someone makes an easier solution or explain in plain english how to do the framebuffer patching. I still think it has to do with the EDID. One of these two things are the cause of the problem.

Currently I am installing Xcode and later I will tidy up the Windows installation to run rFactor 2 - the reason I bought this model. Otherwise I’d have chosen an easier model to hack.

Added in 4 minutes 8 seconds:

Sleep needs to be fixed as well. I left it on before xmas dinner and when I went back it didn’t turn on. Also, I had an usb 1tb storage plugged in, so when I rebooted, it refused to mount. Mounts well on my macbook air and also when I booted to windows, but not macOS. Turns out it was in exfat format, so i made a backup in other computer, formatted as NTFS and copied everything back. I can live with a NTFS usb drive, just need to have Tuxera NTFS installed where I may use it.

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], no luck with the color banding issue?

As of now I have only two issues, the color banding and the hibernation. When the computer sleeps while I am away from the keyboard, It’s pretty difficult to come back, I had a 1TB external hd plugged in and it was inaccessible even after coming back. I could read the data from other computer, but never from the G7. It was a ext4 formatted hd just so I could read/write from both OS (win/mac). Now I have formatted the drive as NTFS, I can r/w as long as I have Tuxera NTFS installed on mac. But the hibernation is quite scary.

[ref]vinhtq115[/ref], no luck with the color banding issue?

As of now I have only two issues, the color banding and the hibernation. When the computer sleeps while I am away from the keyboard, It’s pretty difficult to come back, I had a 1TB external hd plugged in and it was inaccessible even after coming back. I could read the data from other computer, but never from the G7. It was a ext4 formatted hd just so I could read/write from both OS (win/mac). Now I have formatted the drive as NTFS, I can r/w as long as I have Tuxera NTFS installed on mac. But the hibernation is quite scary.

I'm stuck with color banding issue. Tried patching EDID and still not fixed. I think I will ask everyone who owns a laptop (other than Dell G7) with Coffee Lake UHD 630 and see if they have it too.

About hibernation, I never tried it on macOS before and will not try before I replace the SSD that comes with my G7 (only 120TBW). Have you tried HibernationFixup kext?

I haven't found a fix for the color banding issue yet. For hibernation, I simply turned it off for now. It corrupted once one of my external drives (it was formatted as exFAT).

Currently I have one BIG issue. I can only boot to macOS when my G7 is plugged in to the wall charger. When I am on battery, it never ends booting or, doesn't boot at all. I have to plug in the power and then it magically boots normally. I have no idea of what it could be.

I haven't found a fix for the color banding issue yet. For hibernation, I simply turned it off for now. It corrupted once one of my external drives (it was formatted as exFAT).

Currently I have one BIG issue. I can only boot to macOS when my G7 is plugged in to the wall charger. When I am on battery, it never ends booting or, doesn't boot at all. I have to plug in the power and then it magically boots normally. I have no idea of what it could be.

Does it stuck at Apple logo with full loading bar? Install FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_HDMI_Audio.kext.

Color banding may need panel upgrading to fix.

Does it stuck at Apple logo with full loading bar? Install FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_HDMI_Audio.kext.

Color banding may need panel upgrading to fix.

For some reason it started to work again without these kexts.

color banding is still there though.

Added in 1 minute 57 seconds:

This is unrelated to this topic - the script is only for eGPU.

Added in 6 minutes 2 seconds:

@jbuttonfan are you dual booting with Windows 10? If so, does DW1560 play well with Windows (BT and Wifi)?

Yes, it does work very well. You have to follow a guide so you won't be pairing your apple trackpad and apple keyboards every time you boot in one of them. Unfortunately I can't find the guide on the web, but I found something similar to what I remember to have done here:

https://github.com/Soorma07/OS-X-Bluetooth-Pairing-Value-To-Windows-Value

Added in 4 minutes 17 seconds:

For external 4K display and HDPI mode enabled, I can only get it to 30hz. I need 60hz or else I might have some problems with my external display (I have seen some glitches while using before). I tried latest LILU + WEG and bootflag -cdfon enabled (enablehdmi20 property is already on my config). No luck.

I don't want to try Floris's Mac pixel clock patcher because it hasn't been updated for 10.14.3, and anyway, WEG is supposed to do the same for me.

I think that the problem might be the HDMI Cable, it isn't a hdmi 2.0 cable so I need to buy one and verify.

Follow your tutorial, iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud work right out of the box, no need to modify anything, but im stuck at step where you copy your EFI file from USB installer stick, then shutdown then boot it again, it should boot but mine keep saying that there is no bootable drive, even Windows partition is now undetectable, any suggestions?

Thank you, im newbie,sorry if i say something wrong

Edit: my device is also Dell G7 i7-8750H 8GB of RAM,1060 Max-Q and single 512GB Intel 760p, no HDD