bob2001

Asus G73SW Mavericks Install with Clover - Ironing out kinks

Hi again,

Now I have my Asus up and running with Mavericks and Clover, I am trying to iron out the kinks. I don't know if a lot of this is possible, but you don't know until you post :) I am pretty much out of my depth with the rest of this so maybe you guys can help. I am trying to get the OS running with as little modification to kexts as possible, and with as little alternations to S/L/E as possible. Some of this may not be possible/realistic, but you don't know until you ask. :)

Here is my spec:

Asus G73SW

i7-2630QM

HM65 Mobo

12GB RAM

ALC269 Audio

Realtek Ethernet (81xx will double check exact model)

Atheros 9285 Wifi

Nvidia GTX 460M

Bootloader: Clover r2236

Kexts in S/L/E: VoodooHDA

Kexts in Clover/Kexts: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, AppleHDADisabler.kext, AsusNBWMI.kext, FakeSMC.kext, FrescoUSBxHCI.kext, GenericUSBXHCI.kext, RealtekRTL81xx.kext, VoodooBattery.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext, VoodooPS2Mouse.kext, VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

What's working:

Ethernet (Kext), Wifi ( Clover FakeID to Atheros 002A), Bluetooth (Clover), Some of the FN Keys (Kext), Sleep/Wake (Clover), Shutdown (Clover), USB3 (Kext), GPU with Full CI/QE (Clover) (Also using Fermi freezefix), Audio (VoodooHDA at the moment)

What's not working: Backlit keys, Lid sleep, Brightness Control, Battery icon, iMessage, Youtube playback in Safari and Firefox (green distorted video (chrome works fine though) have been told this is to do with new AV Foundation codecs?)

Notes: Clover is set up to extract the DSDT and SSDTs and patch on the fly. DSDT/SSDT has not been added.

What I am trying to change (if possible):

1. Find a dev and vendor ID that I can insert into clover that will allow the Realtek Ethernet to run using native kexts

2. Get the battery icon working without the need to replace the AppleACPI kext, but maybe patch it on the fly from within clover? Ie. apple update 'resistant'

3. Find a dev and vendor ID for an Nvidia card (Maybe the 640M?) to use with FakeID in clover to allow native AGPM for the 460M card

4. Any way to get native audio using clover's kext patching? At the moment, AppleHDADisabler is in clover kext folder to allow VoodooHDA and be update 'resistant'

5. Any other points that people here may think is relevant

Thank you in advance :)

I actually got Mavericks up and running with audio, sleep, battery, etc. I used the kexts and guide from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282499-g73sw-ml-1082-install/

I have run into only one issue though, the AppleACPIPlatform.kext is not quite right. If I use the one for Mavericks, I can boot all the time. If I use the package in the link, I have to boot another OSX version ( I use Lion ) , then reboot into Mavericks, otherwise, I get a "Driver not found for this Platform 'ACPI' error ) . Really an odd error.

The reason I don't use the Maverics AppleACPIPlatform.kext is that when I do, I loose my battery, sleep and USB3 functionality.

Since everything hinges on this one kext, I would like to see what it takes to patch this particular kext and make it work. When I get this working, I'll bundle up all the kexts I am using, DSDT, etc, and post them in a package.

Any help would be appreciated as I think we are really close to getting Mavericks working great on the ASUS G73SW.

I do not have any, or need any VOODOO drivers. I have the CUDA drivers installed, and I do have the Youtube green Video problem in Safari and FireFox.

Max.

Solution for the black screen problem after 10.9.3 update: add the Board-ID into ConfigMap in the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>Mac-942459F5819B171B</key>
                               <string>none</string>

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293593-g73sw-109-install/?p=2021291

Hello,

I am the owner of a G73SW, just want to know the following, if someone can help me :)

( i need OS X for graphics only, I saw it is more stable )

- is the OS X stable on the laptop?

- any of you recommend it ?

- can someone give me the driver package ? ( kets or what's the name) ?

Thx a lot!!!!

Sincerely,

Aurelian

Solution for the black screen problem after 10.9.3 update: add the Board-ID into ConfigMap in the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<string>none</string>

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293593-g73sw-109-install/?p=2021291

You seem to have had better luck with me on this laptop. Have you had any luck with the Yosemite Public Beta?

Yes, it's working very well.

Build the installer using this method

http://Olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4632

Add the Board-ID into ConfigMap in the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<string>none</string>

Boot the installer in single user mode and run

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
kextcache -prelinked-kernel
exit

If kextcache ends in segmentation fault, run it again until kernelcache is built.

Use the same kexts as 10.9.4, except AppleHDA and GenericUSBXHCI

10.10 kexts.zip

793653685_CapturadeTela2014-07-27s15_44_49.thumb.png.29076624cc83605a22cc21826125e676.png

Nice :D I'll give it a go, thank you.

EDIT: Sorry could I be a pain in the rear and ask you to attach your 10.9.4 kexts as well? I'm still on 10.9.2. I checked the thread on Insanely, but they don't seem to have got to 10.9.4 either.

They are the same as 10.9.2 attached in this post

http://Olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3950#p40059

There are no patched kexts, they are all 3rd party kexts and will work on 10.9.4 and 10.10 beta (except AppleHDAALC269 and GenericUSBXHCI which should be updated in 10.10).

I forgot to mention, but I ran the commands in single user mode to rebuild kernelcache in the first boot after installation (to ensure AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch is included, but I don't know if it's needed).

Also, add kext-dev-mode=1 into Boot/Arguments in config.plist

<key>Boot</key>
<dict>
	<key>Arguments</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
</dict>

That's a shame. Having said that, it doesn't work too well in windows either. You can select either the speakers or sub but not both. The only thing it seems to work 'ok' in is Linux with a kernel of 3.13 or higher. This laptop is a bit of a pain in the rear. I used your clover Kexts but I get no audio. Something must be different between our models. I've never known models of laptop vary so much. There's someone on insanely who says he's got pretty much everything working, even varying backlight levels for the keyboard. I've never had that, bummer. :-( if I use the Kexts posted there, I get none of the things he has working, and Kexts that seem to work for others like applesmartbattery either don't work for me or gives a kp. I wish I knew a bit more about dsdts. I might be able to fix it. Another thing that I have noticed is that performance really sucks in mavericks. I have a ssd installed and it's about 2 mins to the desktop. Not even windows is that slow. Linux is 10 seconds, but linux has crappy apps, desktops and no quick look and lack of a decent search indexing service. All things I would want/need.

Audio, battery meter, keyboard backlight (and wireless as well), all depend on DSDT patches. I included my patched DSDT in the package, compare it with your original and you will easily see what needs to be patched. If there are no differences in memory addresses you may even use my file.

The performance issue is strange, I don't know if it's DSDT related, but I have an SSD too and Mavericks takes 10 seconds from Clover menu to desktop.

I didn't have the SSD by the time I uploaded the package, so add this under KextsToPatch in config.plist to enable TRIM support

<dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>QVBQTEUgU1NEAA==</data>                       
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
		</dict>

Thanks, iv'e removed the SSD for now. I have tried to install again on a spare drive using all the files that you have posted, and am 99% there...

I do not have backlit keyboard (but at this point I am not too worried) and I still do not have sound... I do not understand why if our sound cards and DSDTs are the same, why this is not working? Plus with clover's 'automatic' detection, I was hoping this would work.

Do you use Clover in EFI mode or MBR mode? I am trying with EFI mode at the moment, but I understand that it 'should' make no difference? Where do I start to begin to diagnose these issues... so very strange :-/

I'm using Clover UEFI.

For sound in Mavericks you need AppleHDAALC269 (from my package) + original AppleHDA + binpatch in config.plist (KextsToPatch).

In Yosemite you need patched AppleHDA (from "10.10 kexts" package). You do not need AppleHDAALC269 (doesn't work) or binpatch in config.plist (kext binary is already patched).

In both cases you need the patched DSDT (I could have used Clover for this, but since many DSDT patches are needed I decided to put audio patch in there too).

For keyboard backlight use Ctrl + Alt + (numpad +/-). It doesn't work with Fn + (F3/F4). Needs PS2 kext from my package.

Another detail about audio, if you were using VoodooHDA (or Linux) make sure you turn off the laptop instead of just restarting, or it may not work.

I am using your config.plist, and your kexts.... I am also using your DSDT so the edit should be in there. I am also using the PS2 from your package, but no backlit keys. :( I really don't understand why Asus SUCK so much. How can the same model with the same components, same DSDT and same files, 'just not work' :-/ Shame you aren't located near me, I'd buy you a bottle and a crate to take a quick look!

Are you on Mavericks or Yosemite?

I forgot to mention, AppleHDAALC269 contains a symbolic link, so you must unzip the package in OS X. It has no binary or plugins, you need an untouched AppleHDA installed.

If you are on 10.10 beta don't forget to add kext-dev-mode=1 in boot arguments or the patched AppleHDA will not work. Also remove AppleHDAALC269 just to be sure it doesn't interfere.

Backlight should turn on if you press Ctrl, Alt, + (must be the + in numeric keyboard, the one next to backspace won't do it).

Do battery meter and wifi work? If so the patched DSDT must be in use.

I am trying to get it working on Mavericks to start, when I get this working I will move to Yosemite. I already have a partition set aside for this.

The battery meter and the wifi work fine. I will have a look at the AppleHDAALC269... I cannot remember if I transferred it on an NTFS key drive... where is the symbolic link, and where does it point to? I can always download your zip again and reinstall. I'll report back in a bit. :) Thanks for the help so far.

Yes you are right, it was lost. I have replaced it but no audio... I am going to try rebooting in a sec after deleting caches.

Btw, my backlit keys have started working.... :shock: I am very pleased.

I did a quick Geekbench score in 64-bit... it took 2 mins 13 seconds, does this look similar to what you get?

2myu5p3.png

EDIT: Still no sound... I refuse to fall at the last hurdle :P Could our dev ID's be different? Or is there something else here that I am missing?

Nice, looks like a slight multicore increase to look forward to. I replaced the AppleHDA.kext with the one you linked to, but still no luck :( I didn't make any DSDT edits that were suggested because I thought you would have already done those? Plus whenever I try to edit a DSDT it fails to compile :-/ Do I need to remove the AppleHDAALC269.kext when using this AppleHDA? I had a thought... I replaced the wifi card with a better one some time back that is actually from a MBP.. Do you think this may be causing a conflict? I know it's not likely but thought I would ask. It's this:

Atheros AR5008X Wireless Network Adapter

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0024&SUBSYS_0087106B&REV_01

It's not a perfect fit because it's not half height, but it has MUCH better performance than the one that comes with the G73SW because it can use the 5GHz band. I tend to grab content on my hack first and sort it, then send it off to my NAS.