MScoutsDCI

Need help updating bootloader, OS, and GPU

Hi, I'm new to this site, I'd never heard of it, recommended to me by someone in a hackintosh FB group.

I build my current hackintosh back in 2017 and I'm currently stuck on Sierra due to an nVidia GPU and I'm finally starting to feel that an upgrade is necessary. I want to stick with a dedicated GPU because I dual boot into Windows to play games. No need for the latest and greatest though, just looking for a modest upgrade so probably an AMD 5000 or 6000 series card is what I'm looking at. I haven't actively kept up with the scene since I built mine so I kind of feel like I'm starting from scratch.

Here's what I want to do and need some assistance with (along with some questions I can think of):

1. Convert from Clover to OpenCore
    1. I assume I should do this first since I don't have a new GPU yet. I can get this done and out of the way first. Unless it makes sense to do it differently
  2. Update to a newer OS (Monterey? wait for Ventura?). If it's Monterey I'd be interested to know how easy/hard it will be to update to Ventura when it comes out.
    1. I'd prefer to do an update but I could potentially backup files, do it from scratch and then just copy the files back over. This is used as a main work computer so the easier/more reliable, the better
  3. Switch to an AMD GPU (obviously necessary for step 2).
    1. Order of operation here...would it be easier to temporarily remove the GPU completely, switch to integrated graphics for the OS update, and then install the new GPU as a separate step?

One reason I'd like to be able to update to Ventura is iCloud photo library sharing. We've been waiting years for that and I'd like to have my desktop work with it (it'll work with our phones regardless I know). Does anybody know if this is a feature that's working with hacks?

I'm sure I'll think of some other questions. Any help would be awesome.

Current build:
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 LGA1151
Processor: Core i7 6700K
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Edited by MScoutsDCI

• Administrators

-Donations-

PayPal HERE - Stripe HERE - Ko-Fi HERE - BuyMeaCoffee HERE - Mercado Livre HERE

Skrill danielnmaldonado@gmail.com - BTC 33HeGCuCSh4tUBqdYkQqKpSDa1E7WeAJQ3 - BNB 0x10D1d656eCa00bD521f9b4A43B83098B8142e115 - USDT BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9 - USDT TRC20 TUR6Z9AVS4AYzqPnULoHrfFvppRbhXmNbZ - KASPA kaspa:qpxzufgfj8p6r0krg58yzvs0009h2mwqgvcawa0xc2pth7sgzpv56j4f6dtvk - PicPay @danielnmaldonado - PiX @danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

Premium Users HERE - Problems with Paypal HERE

xcd5u2Y.png

New ways to earn money with Linkvertise HERE

Thanks!

Is there a guide here for converting from Clover? I can only find guides for from-scratch builds. I want to make sure I do it as cleanly as possible to minimize downtime and risk.

Do you agree that converting to OC first is a good first step?

• Administrators

-Donations-

Skrill danielnmaldonado@gmail.com - BTC 33HeGCuCSh4tUBqdYkQqKpSDa1E7WeAJQ3 - BNB 0x10D1d656eCa00bD521f9b4A43B83098B8142e115 - USDT BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9 - USDT TRC20 TUR6Z9AVS4AYzqPnULoHrfFvppRbhXmNbZ - KASPA kaspa:qpxzufgfj8p6r0krg58yzvs0009h2mwqgvcawa0xc2pth7sgzpv56j4f6dtvk - PicPay @danielnmaldonado - PiX @danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

xcd5u2Y.png

On 6/15/2022 at 9:57 AM, MScoutsDCI said:

Thanks but unless I'm misunderstanding it looks like this requires formatting the boot drive (step 5)? I'd like to avoid that if possible. Am I misreading the process?

Am I misunderstanding the process here?

• Administrators

this efi is done. is just need little things if need and fine tune after all

-Donations-

xcd5u2Y.png

Thanks for the help so far. Since I'm not very experienced in this, can you confirm if my understanding is right?

Do I just have to mount my EFI partition and replace the existing EFI folder with the one you suggested? Is that all it's going to take to switch from Clover to OpenCore? And then after that some fine tuning?

• Administrators

-Use USB2 port for easy installation with no remap USB
-Users with IGPU can use -igfxvesa bootarg for easy installation
-Delete old EFI folder and paste new. Don't use merge files
-Don't use Drag and Drop into EFI partition. Use Copy/Paste instead
-Reset NVRAM one time - with OpenCore use entry "Reset Nvram" / with Clover use F11 key on boot screen

-Donations-

xcd5u2Y.png

1 hour ago, MaLd0n said:

-Users with IGPU can use -igfxvesa bootarg for easy installation
-Reset NVRAM one time - with OpenCore use entry "Reset Nvram" / with Clover use F11 key on boot screen

Regarding these two points: 

- I have a GTX 980 Ti. The plan is to replace it eventually but first I'll be converting to OC, remaining on Sierra, and using the 980.

- I'm not sure what you mean by "use entry "Reset Nvram."" How do I do that?

• Administrators

opencore have this entry on boot picker

-Donations-

xcd5u2Y.png

Thanks! I finally got a chance to try booting using this EFI from a USB stick. OC worked but when I tried to boot into MacOS (Sierra 10.12.6 is my current), I got an error saying my MacOS version isn't supported.

Is there an OC EFI I can use with Sierra or will I have to wait until I update MacOS to use it?