Emmanuel Nevil

Big Sur to Monterey Error

I am on Big Sur and when I try to Install Monterey via the software upgrade, Install MacOS Monterey Tool get's installed and I follow the on screen instructions and it restarts my system after a while. Then on OpenCore I can see a new option called Macintosh HD & when I run the same it shows a lot of code on screen and then suddenly restarts and then it goes to open core and then to my drive and it's still on Big Sur. I tried this a lot of time and I'm still stuck. 
Please help, why is it not getting installed ??

Pics.zip

Edited by Emmanuel Nevil

• Administrators

-Donations-

PayPal HERE - Stripe HERE - Ko-Fi HERE - BuyMeaCoffee HERE - Mercado Livre HERE

Skrill danielnmaldonado@gmail.com - BTC 33HeGCuCSh4tUBqdYkQqKpSDa1E7WeAJQ3 - BNB 0x10D1d656eCa00bD521f9b4A43B83098B8142e115 - USDT BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9 - USDT TRC20 TUR6Z9AVS4AYzqPnULoHrfFvppRbhXmNbZ - KASPA kaspa:qpxzufgfj8p6r0krg58yzvs0009h2mwqgvcawa0xc2pth7sgzpv56j4f6dtvk - PicPay @danielnmaldonado - PiX @danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

Premium Users HERE - Problems with Paypal HERE

xcd5u2Y.png

New ways to earn money with Linkvertise HERE

• Administrators

check config.plist

check tuto above

-Donations-

PayPal HERE - Stripe HERE - Ko-Fi HERE - BuyMeaCoffee HERE - Mercado Livre HERE

Skrill danielnmaldonado@gmail.com - BTC 33HeGCuCSh4tUBqdYkQqKpSDa1E7WeAJQ3 - BNB 0x10D1d656eCa00bD521f9b4A43B83098B8142e115 - USDT BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9 - USDT TRC20 TUR6Z9AVS4AYzqPnULoHrfFvppRbhXmNbZ - KASPA kaspa:qpxzufgfj8p6r0krg58yzvs0009h2mwqgvcawa0xc2pth7sgzpv56j4f6dtvk - PicPay @danielnmaldonado - PiX @danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

Premium Users HERE - Problems with Paypal HERE

xcd5u2Y.png

New ways to earn money with Linkvertise HERE

27 minutes ago, MaLd0n said:

check config.plist

check tuto above

I followed the tutorial and edited and made changes to the EFI you have provided for coffee lake (which is my processor), still the same error. Selecting the Macintosh HD it loads a lot of commands and restarts. I can boot to Big Sur thou? Can you help I really wanna install Monterey 🥲

19 hours ago, Emmanuel Nevil said:

I followed the tutorial and edited and made changes to the EFI you have provided for coffee lake (which is my processor), still the same error. Selecting the Macintosh HD it loads a lot of commands and restarts. I can boot to Big Sur thou? Can you help I really wanna install Monterey 🥲

Unfortunately many are unable to update with OC and the reason has not yet been understood well, I myself have overcome the problem of the macintosh hd loop with Clover by finalizing the update
I suggest you download the Monterey beta 2 directly, create the usb installer and install from 0 by formatting the harddrive

https://swdist.apple.com/content/downloads/54/23/071-59953-A_U9D4NB05NR/nqzt71pnylsuux326a4vqexb33oz0auhas/InstallAssistant.pkg

12 hours ago, anto barreca said:

Unfortunately many are unable to update with OC and the reason has not yet been understood well, I myself have overcome the problem of the macintosh hd loop with Clover by finalizing the update
I suggest you download the Monterey beta 2 directly, create the usb installer and install from 0 by formatting the harddrive

https://swdist.apple.com/content/downloads/54/23/071-59953-A_U9D4NB05NR/nqzt71pnylsuux326a4vqexb33oz0auhas/InstallAssistant.pkg

Thanks buddy for the reply, really mean it. And ya I'm at a situation that I can't format the drive rn. Can you suggest me the clover method ??

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Nevil said:

Thanks buddy for the reply, really mean it. And ya I'm at a situation that I can't format the drive rn. Can you suggest me the clover method ??

Certainly try to bring the configuration you have in OC to Clover, I finalized the update on the first try 🤞

On 7/3/2021 at 10:09 PM, anto barreca said:

Certainly try to bring the configuration you have in OC to Clover, I finalized the update on the first try 🤞

thnkx mate!! Installed it via clover but something weird happening. No sound outputs are showing but my microphone is working. Please help??

Edited by Emmanuel Nevil

4 hours ago, Emmanuel Nevil said:

thnkx mate!! Installed it via clover but something weird happening. No sound outputs are showing but my microphone is working. Please help??

👍 if you want now you can go back to using opencore, or try updating the kext ALC , LILU .......etc

https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=AppleALC&viewall=true&version=1.6.2&sha=9d726f6902f0768b7ee08c7dde6171d0181a3682

always select the latest vers. and release 

try to change layout if that's the case

Edited by anto barreca

6 hours ago, anto barreca said:

👍 if you want now you can go back to using opencore, or try updating the kext ALC , LILU .......etc

https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=AppleALC&viewall=true&version=1.6.2&sha=9d726f6902f0768b7ee08c7dde6171d0181a3682

always select the latest vers. and release 

try to change layout if that's the case

I tried upgrading the kexts and just the speakers and headphones won't even show up. Used the clover and it's fine but I don't know what happened with open core lol 

I have the same problem, and I don't want to switch to Clover again. I think I will have to wait for the next OC update. I tried everything I can think of, and no luck. I even had update to the latest Big Sur beta version (beta 5) with no issues, and as soon as I want to update to Monterey, it just loads a bunch of code and then restarts.

3 hours ago, Shinji3rd said:

I have the same problem, and I don't want to switch to Clover again. I think I will have to wait for the next OC update. I tried everything I can think of, and no luck. I even had update to the latest Big Sur beta version (beta 5) with no issues, and as soon as I want to update to Monterey, it just loads a bunch of code and then restarts.

Same with me too 

I reboot to Opencore menu and select macintosh HD and loops forever 

I have secure boot model disabled, and I get the error. At first I thought that the problem may be exclusive to Kaby Lake processors, but then I saw people with the i7 7500U installing Monterey with no issues (same processor I have in my laptop), so that's not it.

Ok, I have some news.

After several days testing different things and cleaning my EFI, I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION! It was all about the quirks. Even if it all worked great in Big Sur, for some reason I needed to activate a couple more quirks to be able to upgrade to Monterey.

If anyone else has this problem, with that MSU 1130 error or something like that, this is what I did. I don't know if all of this is required, but hey, it's what I did, it solved the issue, and as Monterey is now installed and perfectly working I can't test if some steps are not required, so here's the list of things I did:

- Deleted the APPLE folder inside my EFI folder.

- Enable "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist. Leave all the other quirks exactly as I had them.

- Misc -> Security, I set SecureBootModel to Disabled.

- Reboot the system, and in the picker I chose Clear NVRAM. System reboots.

- Boot Big Sur. No issues booting. Run the Monterey update again. This time, I had the feeling that it took a little longer than before.

- System reboots, and the update process begin. Everything went smooth, and after some time, Monterey loaded and everything works: wi-fi, bluetooth, graphics acceleration, sound...

So, if you are experiencing this error or something similar, compare the quirks you have and if you are missing the ones I mention, give it a try. Just take this in consideration:

- If you are using a Broadcom Wi-Fi/BT module, you have to disable BrcmBluetoothInjector and enable the new BlueToolFixup.

- CpuTscSync is not working in Monterey (yet), so you have to replace it with TSCAdjustReset. EDIT: Latest commit for CpuTscSync is working fine now, so TSCAdjustReset is not needed anymore.

- If you want an EFI folder valid for Big Sur and Monterey without the need to manually activate / de-activate kexts, just set the MaxKernel to 20.9.9 in those kexts that should not be injected in Monterey, and the MinKernel to 21.0.0 to those that are exclusive to Monterey and up. That way OpenCore will inject ones or the others depending on if you are booting Big Sur (or older) or Monterey.

Edited by Shinji3rd
  • Like 3

On 7/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, Shinji3rd said:

Ok, I have some news.

After several days testing different things and cleaning my EFI, I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION! It was all about the quirks. Even if it all worked great in Big Sur, for some reason I needed to activate a couple more quirks to be able to upgrade to Monterey.

If anyone else has this problem, with that MSU 1130 error or something like that, this is what I did. I don't know if all of this is required, but hey, it's what I did, it solved the issue, and as Monterey is now installed and perfectly working I can't test if some steps are not required, so here's the list of things I did:

- Enable "AllowRelocationBlock", "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist. Leave all the other quirks exactly as I had them.

- Boot Big Sur. No issues booting. Run the Monterey update again. This time, I had the feeling that it took a little longer than before.

- System reboots, and the update process begin. Everything went smooth, and after some time, Monterey loaded and everything works: wi-fi, bluetooth, graphics acceleration, sound...

So, if you are experiencing this error or something similar, compare the quirks you have and if you are missing the ones I mention, give it a try. Just take this in consideration:

- If you are using a Broadcom Wi-Fi/BT module, you have to disable BrcmBluetoothInjector and enable the new BlueToolFixup.

- CpuTscSync is not working in Monterey (yet), so you have to replace it with TSCAdjustReset.

- If you want an EFI folder valid for Big Sur and Monterey without the need to manually activate / de-activate kexts, just set the MaxKernel to 20.9.9 in those kexts that should not be injected in Monterey, and the MinKernel to 21.0.0 to those that are exclusive to Monterey and up. That way OpenCore will inject ones or the others depending on if you are booting Big Sur (or older) or Monterey.

The update problem is solved. Thank you

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, Shinji3rd said:

Ok, I have some news.

- Enable "AllowRelocationBlock", "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist. Leave all the other quirks exactly as I had them.

- CpuTscSync is not working in Monterey (yet), so you have to replace it with TSCAdjustReset.

I was having this issue installing Monterey beta as an update or fresh install. Modifying the 3 parameters in the Booter section fixed it.

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1