Venkata Kondraju

macOS Ventura on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus

macOS Ventura 13.2 on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus:

Instructions:

From Windows:

1. Download Latest Ventura image from Olarila.

2. Once downloaded flash the raw image file to a 16 GB USB drive using a Balena Etcher.

3. Now download my Latest release EFI Files from github link down below and unzip it.

4. After Flashing download & install MiniTool Partition Wizard 12.3, open the application now look for your USB drive and locate a 200 MB FAT32 EFI Partition.

5. Now right click on that partition and then click on change Letter and then assign a new Drive Letter, apply the changes & close the application.

6. Now open Explorer look for newly assigned mounted partition, delete the existing EFI folder and then paste my EFI Folder from USB Folder.

7. That's it now you are good to go, restart and boot into your USB Drive and follow the macOS installation instructions and machine gets rebooted for 5 times and finally you will be greeted with a Welcome Screen.

8. After setting up your mac, Download ESP Mounter Pro V1.9.1 zip file from olarila and install it, Once done open ESP Mounter Pro app and locate your internal Hardrive or SSD and mount the EFI and also open the EFI partition from app itself.

9. EFI Folder gets opened in Finder, Now delete any existing EFI folder and paste my EFI Foder from SSD Folder.

10. That's it now you are good to go, remove your USB drive, restart and boot into your macOS partition.

Note: If you have installed macOS Ventura on to the same Hardrive or SSD where Windows is installed, then follow these steps

8. Open ESP Mounter Pro app and locate your internal Hardrive or SSD and mount the EFI and also open the EFI partition from app itself.

9. EFI Folder gets opened in Finder, Inside EFI folder you will find 2 folders namely Boot & Microsoft. Delete Only Boot folder and then paste Boot & OC folders from my SSD EFI Folder.

10. That's it now you are good to go, remove your USB drive, restart and dual boot into your macOS or Windows.

11. Once you are on the desktop download & install Open Core Legacy Patcher from github link down below, make sure to select "Enable Beta Blur" under non Metal Settings, otherwise you will have all sorts of Graphics Glitches on the Menu bar, Dock & Finder, Check the image below.

12. Now restart, you should have Intel HD 3000 Graphics Acceleration with a transparent menu bar.

13. Now Finally Download Trackpad Prefpane from github link down below and unzip it.

14. Copy & Paste the file Trackpad.prefpane into Library/PreferencePanes folder.

15. Now new Trackpad Prefpane will be available at the bottom of System Preferences app, click on it configure accordingly.

Dell XPS 17 L702x Hackintosh Open Core Bootloader Github Link: https://github.com/maheshkondraju/Dell-XPS-17-L702X-Hackintosh-Open-Core-Bootloader/releases

Open Core Legacy Patcher: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases

GeekBench Scores: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/20106571

Known Problems:

1. Trackpad is either very sensitive or very laggy based on the configuration, better use mouse.

Note: Used FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC due to lack of feature in SMCProcessor.kext such as Processor frequencies. Which lets you know whether Speed Stepping Works with C states & Turbo P states. You can Check the Pic uploaded when system is at idle the cpu frequencies are idling at 800MHz per core.

Feel free to use my files from github which i have been working for past 2 weeks and i am exhausted, i will be stopping the development straight away. So if someone can continue my work for fine tuning for better optimization & efficiency would be great, So that Hackintosh community is blessed with a head start.

Credits:

1. Dortania for Open Core Legacy Patcher

2. Acidanthera For Kexts

3. Olarila MaLd0n for macOS Images

4. Finally Myself Venkata Kondraju for the DSDT, SSDT's & Config.

cheers have a great day

spacer.png

spacer.png

No More Graphics Glitches

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Venkata Kondraju
Moved to macOS Ventura
  • Like 3

• Administrators

:guitar

• Like 1

-Donations-

PayPal HERE - Stripe HERE - Ko-Fi HERE - BuyMeaCoffee HERE - Mercado Livre HERE

Skrill danielnmaldonado@gmail.com - BTC 33HeGCuCSh4tUBqdYkQqKpSDa1E7WeAJQ3 - BNB 0x10D1d656eCa00bD521f9b4A43B83098B8142e115 - USDT BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9 - USDT TRC20 TUR6Z9AVS4AYzqPnULoHrfFvppRbhXmNbZ - KASPA kaspa:qpxzufgfj8p6r0krg58yzvs0009h2mwqgvcawa0xc2pth7sgzpv56j4f6dtvk - PicPay @danielnmaldonado - PiX @danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

Premium Users HERE - Problems with Paypal HERE

xcd5u2Y.png

New ways to earn money with Linkvertise HERE

macOS Monterey on Dell XPS 17 L702x Optimus will be released soon with a guide for installation, if you are an advanced user then checkout my work from scratch on Open Core at github 

https://github.com/maheshkondraju/Dell-XPS-17-L702X-Monterey-Hackintosh-Open-Core-Clover-Bootloader-Support

Hi, @Venkata Kondraju @MaLd0n

I have a Dell XPS L502X notebook, I believe it is similar to yours. Here's the configuration:
Core i5-2450M Sandy Bridge
Intel HM67 Chipset (Cougar Point)
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Sandisk SSD 240GB
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 BGN 1x2 HMC
Lan Realtek RTL8168/8111 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Audio Realtek ALC665

But I disabled Nvidia Optimus by changing the position of the resistor on the Motherboard. I tried to follow your tutorial but this notebook doesn't have UEFI function only Legacy (MBR).
Can you tell me if it is possible to install macOS Mojave on this model with Legacy BIOS?

• Like 1

Hi Thielis,

well it should work with xps l502x as pretty much same hardware.

1. First did you flashed with XP 15 L502x modded bios for your system, if not you can find one here and flash the modded bios you can flash directly from windows desktop running the FLASH_the_modded_bios bat file  https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/page/119/#comment-2013910

2. After successful bios installation, Go to Bios Advanced section Unlocked menus, enable UEFI (disabled by default).

3. find  Core i5-2450M Sandy Bridge SSDT's for your system on the web.

4. you can download my open core V0.8.8 for l702x from my github link https://github.com/maheshkondraju/Dell-XPS-17-L702X-Hackintosh-Open-Core-Bootloader

5. Now replace my Core i7 SSDT's with your Core i5-2450M SSDT's in the opencore V0.8.8 ACPI folder.

6. mainly you need to replace 3 processor specific SSDT's they are SSDT-ApTst.aml, SSDT-CpuPm.aml & SSDT-PmRef.aml.

7. Give my DSDT.aml a try, if not working then replace it with your XPS 15 L502x DSDT.aml

8. Make sure you do these modifications in both SSD EFI & as well as USB EFI.

9. From here follow my guide you should successfully install mac os Ventura.

cheers

• Like 1

Hey man, great work on keeping the L702x updated :)

I'm doing the same with my old (but reliable) XPS 15z (L511z, similar processor i7-2640m) and have a few questions:

1. Could you attach the trackpad prefpane (or let me know what patches/changes to be made to the voodoo kexts)?

2. Does your L702x have proper sleep/wake, and if so how did you manage to solve it?

3. The 15z currently on Catalina and it works pretty well but have heard these 2nd-gen processors have an issue to get working on Monterey. Do you have efficient power management with your XPS 17?

Congrats again on the great initiative!

On 1/12/2023 at 9:15 PM, thielis said:

Hi, @Venkata Kondraju @MaLd0n

I have a Dell XPS L502X notebook, I believe it is similar to yours. Here's the configuration:
Core i5-2450M Sandy Bridge
Intel HM67 Chipset (Cougar Point)
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Sandisk SSD 240GB
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 BGN 1x2 HMC
Lan Realtek RTL8168/8111 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Audio Realtek ALC665

But I disabled Nvidia Optimus by changing the position of the resistor on the Motherboard. I tried to follow your tutorial but this notebook doesn't have UEFI function only Legacy (MBR).
Can you tell me if it is possible to install macOS Mojave on this model with Legacy BIOS?

Your notebook does have UEFI but you'll need to flash a custom BIOS. A long time ago I had written a howto, which you can find here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-UEFI-Dell-XPS-15z-L511z-modded-BIOS-and-HOWTO

• Like 1

Hi Jkbuha,

sorry for a late reply. 

1. By placing Trackpad.prefpane into Library/PreferencePanes folder in Monterey worked, haven't tested in ventura. I will let you know.

2.  Sleep/Wake worked properly on A.12 Bios, I guess Timewalker75a published a modified custom A.19 Bios for XPS 17 L702x with A.12 Sleep/wake module, which was modified by you, timewalker and few others i guess. Since then Sleep/Wake works perfect even on A.19 Bios ( https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293246-osx-on-dell-vostro-3450-inspiron-n4110-xps-l702x-uefi-clover/).

3. I am currently testing the new macOS Sonoma, even on this new macOS Power Management is perfect with Speed Stepping Works with C states & Turbo P states. Lowest cpu frequency is idling at 800mhz and with turbo its maximizes to 2900mhz as per my CPU core i7 2630QM.

In order to attain power management though the bios is patched for MSR 0xE2 i am using OCLP's MacBookPro8,3 patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext, CPUFriend.kext, CPUFriendDataProvider.kext & ASPP-Override.kext.

4. Here is the gihub link of my XPS 17 L702x EFI https://github.com/maheshkondraju/Dell-XPS-17-L702X-Hackintosh-Open-Core-Bootloader

feel free to modify and optimize it further for XPS 15z

cheers

• Like 1