ernani

Big Sur 11.1 Update stuck on apple logo

Guys I would appreciate some help.

I attempted to upgrade from 11.0.1 via the Software Upgrade. After the upgrade downloaded the system rebooted (I have a Aorus Gaming K4, i7700k, AMD Radeon RX580, OC 0.6.4 and all the latest kexts installed), there were two Macintosh HD entries, the first was selected, it booted and then within a minute it rebooted itself. Then there was only one Macintosh HD entry. It booted, the first boot stage passed, the screen turned white for a second and then black again, the apple logo showed up but the progress bar got stuck at around 75%. No installer got loaded. There was some disk activity for about a minute and then it stopped. The progress bar never moved again. The screen got into sleep, but when I moved the mouse it turned on but that was it. I force rebooted the system a couple of times, even cleared the NVRAM, but the same thing happed - the installation of the update does not continue, nor the system boots.

I can boot into recovery (strangely it got updated to 11.1). Should I select to reinstall the system? Or perhaps restore from a two-weeks old time machine backup?

Please help, I have no idea what to do...

• Administrators

use -v ever and post one photo in error screen

-Donations-

PayPal HERE - Stripe HERE - Ko-Fi HERE - BuyMeaCoffee HERE - Mercado Livre HERE

Skrill danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

BTC 1BDzsV4bw3DVCiffFAeNKsdEzqkPXNVrXR

ETH BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9

BNB 0x10D1d656eCa00bD521f9b4A43B83098B8142e115

USDT BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9

USDT TRC20 TUR6Z9AVS4AYzqPnULoHrfFvppRbhXmNbZ

PicPay @danielnmaldonado

PiX @danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

Problems with Paypal HERE

xcd5u2Y.png

New ways to earn money with Linkvertise HERE

That's the problem. There is no error (at least a kernel panic that I could recognise). I did use -v. If I remember correctly though it does say towards the end that it cannot find certain images. Then system passes through the first boot stage, the screen turns briefly white and then the apple logo appears, though the progress bar stops at around 5% after a minute of disk activity. I will post a photo at noon.

My EFI should be OK - you helped create it, with a custom DSDT you sent me for my system, so I suspect that the problem does not lie on OC.

Would you recommend to reinstall the system from a usb stick I just created with 11.1, or can this make things worse and loose any data?

• Administrators

-Donations-

PayPal HERE - Stripe HERE - Ko-Fi HERE - BuyMeaCoffee HERE - Mercado Livre HERE

Skrill danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

BTC 1BDzsV4bw3DVCiffFAeNKsdEzqkPXNVrXR

ETH BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9

BNB 0x10D1d656eCa00bD521f9b4A43B83098B8142e115

USDT BSC BEP20 0xb57cfdfa371fad1981910f0e8332409ab99f74d9

USDT TRC20 TUR6Z9AVS4AYzqPnULoHrfFvppRbhXmNbZ

PicPay @danielnmaldonado

PiX @danielnmaldonado@gmail.com

Problems with Paypal HERE

xcd5u2Y.png

New ways to earn money with Linkvertise HERE

Problem magically resolved! I attempted to install 11.1 over my old non-working installation twice. Both times, the system rebooted 4 times and during the last reboot it ended up, stuck at a light gray screen, where the mouse pointer was visible but the installer did not show up.

I ended up installing 11.1 on a new SSD. This time the installation proceeded in the final stage (the gray screen I mentioned appeared for a second and then the rainbowish setup screen), and after initial setup it asked me if I want to transfer files and settings from a previous installation or a time machine backup. I selected the my old unbootable SSD that I was installing 11.1 over and over unsuccessfully, and thank God, it worked!

I still cannot understand what went wrong with the upgrade from 11.0.1 -> 11.1 and the reinstallations of 11.1 on my old SSD. For all installations (unsuccesful and the last successful one) I was using the same EFI, so the problem was not in my OC configuration and setup. That said, I will think twice to upgrade any time soon...

Can anyone suspect what could have gone wrong? A left-over device driver perhaps?